Find Deck Staining in Hartford, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will painting my deck be a smarter choice than staining it?
Deck staining and painting have their own benefits, so it's important to analyze which option best meets your needs when deciding between the two. The two most significant benefits of painting are its wider variety of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also needs extensive upkeep because of flaking and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly cured, requires less effort to maintain, and has other benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering a deep layer of protection against water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the benefits of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is right for you and your home.
Can staining my deck deliver any advantages other than aesthetics?
Staining a deck provides several advantages, such as enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that will help re-energize the style of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a professional to ensure excellent results. The climate in Hartford, Illinois is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the type of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include stopping pests and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get the most from your investment by extending its lifespan.
What steps are involved with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a multipart process that requires careful preparation and application to get the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dirt and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres well. The surface should be sanded or repaired from any damage to provide a consistent application during the following step. Anything around the work area, such as pathways and structures, will also need to be covered with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you select the right type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the style you want to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to put on as many coats as are needed for good penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've selected and how long it will take to cure. It's important that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is fitting throughout the drying step.
Each of these steps are complex and time-consuming, but proper execution is necessary to ensure the best result. A dependable deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to finish the job quickly while achieving your desired appearance and durability.
What is the optimal weather for staining a deck?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll achieve the best results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is better while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and colder temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature specifications on how long drying should take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional Near Hartford, Illinois on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for refreshing its appearance and delivering unmatched durability from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and drying, to guarantee it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures appropriately to secure the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting provides more variety of colors and looks and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away under constant use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mold and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for two to three years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining your deck requires a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the process. Performing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by hiring an expert who can guarantee excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Hartford, Illinois and choose the right one matching your needs and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.