Find a Cabinet Refinisher in Hickory Hills, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET REFINISHING
How long can cabinets that have been refinished retain their new look
One of the best advantages about wood is that it is able to be refinished multiple times to make furniture look the way it did when new, which applies to wood cabinets, as well. How many times one can refinish cabinets depends on several factors, such as the strength of the cabinets, the components, and how well the cabinets have been maintained. How long any refinished cabinets will hold up before the process must be done again depends on how often they are used and what sort of maintenance you perform. A thorough cabinet refinishing service could last anywhere from 5 to 10 years or more, depending on the factors talked about above.
Is cabinet refinishing worth the effort?
Cabinet refinishing is almost always more cost-effective than buying new models and is a worthwhile investment in many circumstances, including when:
- Current Cabinets Are in Good Condition: If your cabinets are damaged or deteriorating, it might be more beneficial to go with a replacement.
- Environmental Sustainability Is a Priority: If reducing your carbon footprint is a priority, you might want to consider cabinet refinishing as a better way to limit landfill trash by refreshing your existing cabinets.
- You Want Unique and Personalized Cabinets: Refinishing gives you choices between a huge range of colors and finishes to bring to life a vision that is wholly unique and suits your sense of style.
- Trying To Achieve a Better Return on Investment: If you're preparing to sell your house, cabinet refinishing is a cost-effective project to boost its value and maximize profits.
- You Are Satisfied With the Existing Layout and Functionality: You're existing cabinets may already fit in great with your kitchen's layout and deliver ideal functionality.
- Minimum Disruption is Necessary: Cabinet refinishing results in less chaos to your lifestyle in contrast to a full cabinet replacement.
Property owners in Hickory Hills, Illinois have detailed spending as much as 70% less when refinishing their cabinets compared to replacing them. Before picking cabinet refinishing, weigh your specific needs, budget, and the condition of your cabinets to discover if this project is right for you.
What certifications or licenses will a cabinet refinishing expert likely possess?
While there aren't industry-mandated certifications specifically for cabinet refinishing contractors, there are important qualifications and indicators of expertise that you can refer to when hiring someone to refinish your cabinets. Most professional contractors will prominently display their background in carpentry, woodworking, or a relevant field on their Thumbtack page.
You should ask the contractor you are considering hiring for photos of cabinets they have refinished in the past, especially for results that are similar to the style you're trying to achieve. Along with a picture gallery, most professional contractors can highlight their experience and reliability with online customer reviews.
A reliable expert will give a clear written estimate of the job before it begins, outlining the scope of services, materials, and all associated costs. Contractors should possess excellent communication skills and a readiness to address any questions and concerns regarding cost, time, and quality throughout the refinishing project. You should also ask for warranties or guarantees from a contractor, which is another indication that can demonstrate they have faith in the quality of their workmanship.
What steps are taken for professionally refinished cabinets?
A contractor handling your cabinet refinishing job will follow an established process for efficiency and proven results. There are generally numerous steps used to transform the appearance of existing cabinets, such as:
- Assessment and Prepping: Cabinets are first inspected to make sure they are in good enough condition to be refinished. If they are, any gear will be removed, including handles, knobs, and hinges, and the surfaces need to be cleaned of dirt, grease, or other residue.
- Touch-Up and Fill: Some small issues, such as scratches, dents, or other imperfections in the wood can be repaired or filled before being blended in with staining or painting.
- Painting or Staining: Your choice of paint, stain, or finishing technique will be applied in careful, even coats to get the style you've envisioned. The drying and curing phase is critical to giving a high-quality result, and could require several hours to accomplish.
- Reassembly: Once your paint or stain has dried, any gear can be put back on and cabinets completely reassembled for use. A quality inspection will make sure the finished project meets your standards, which includes a final cleanup of the full work area.
It's useful to keep in mind that the specific refinishing process will vary depending on things like the kind of cabinets and the chosen finish. Also, contractors may perform specialized methods, such as distressing or glazing, to achieve specific stylistic results, which will require a longer process with more steps. Make sure to speak directly with any contractor you employ to ensure they have the skill to bring your vision to reality.
Hire a Contractor for Cabinet Refinishing in Hickory Hills, Illinois
Cabinet refinishing is a great way to beautify the look of your home by updating the appearance of existing cabinets without the need for a total replacement. Professional cabinet refinishers sand and apply customized finishes, such as paint, stain, or other methods to your existing cabinets to deliver a new look that fits your sense of style and design preferences.
The cost-effectiveness of cabinet refinishing is one of the first benefits, and many homeowners in Hickory Hills, Illinois have reported spending up to 70% less than the price of having new cabinets built and hung. Achieving a fresh and modern look for your used cabinets for less money will maximize the return on your investment, increasing the value of your house simultaneously.
Environmental considerations also play a role in why many homeowners are starting to refinish used cabinets rather than buy and install new models. Refinishing is a green option that prioritizes eco-conscious practices in home improvement by minimizing toxic waste and lessening demand for cutting more trees.
Another excellent advantage of cabinet refinishing is that the service is many times less disruptive to your lifestyle than the mess generated to install new ones. Regardless of buying stock or custom-built new cabinets, the kitchen where they're hung will often need to undergo some degree of demolition and reconstruction before they fit properly. The result is much more debris everywhere and could take weeks or months before the room is ready for use again, whereas an efficient refinishing job is less messy and a convenient solution for those on a tight schedule.
When considering an expert for your cabinet refinishing job, get a feel for their knowledge and expertise through galleries of past work, if they supply any guarantees on their workmanship, online customer reviews, and how well they communicate with you about time and budget. All of this valuable information and more is on the easy-to-use Thumbtack site so you can hire a cabinet refinishing contractor in Hickory Hills, Illinois confidently.