Find Deck Staining in Highland, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will the weather impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll get better results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck works better when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm or colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as excessive moisture can prolong drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature directions on how long drying should take, and it's essential that it remains dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
Before deck staining, what are the preparatory steps that need to be taken?
Detailed prepping of the deck and the surrounding environment must be carried out to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants should be cut, and any pathways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck might need to be washed or sanded to allow adequate penetration and sticking.
Picking the best stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors such as:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from particular stains that will offer your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid typically providing superior defense from water and UV rays. If your wood species has minimal durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its hue and opacity to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your house and grounds.
Is there a big variance in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting offer different advantages, so it's essential to assess which option best meets your requirements when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are its extensive selection of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also requires more maintenance due to peeling and fading over time. On the other hand, stain will not peel if properly dried, needs minimal effort to care for, and has more advantages, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering a deep layer of defense against moisture, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that increase durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be best for your needs.
Is staining my deck worth the cost if I hire a professional?
Staining a deck brings many advantages, including enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that can help re-energize the style of your house and grounds. You're not as limited as you might suppose when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor who can deliver excellent results. The weather in Highland, Illinois poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the kind of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor in Highland, Illinois on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for revitalizing its look and providing unmatched protection against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to make sure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures appropriately to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer when it comes to picking the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting gives better variety of colors and looks and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away under constant foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining a deck requires a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration through every step of the process. Carrying out the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by turning to a pro who can ensure stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Highland, Illinois and choose the best one matching your vision and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.