Find a Cabinet Painter in Homer Glen, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Illinois // Homer Glen
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Does it matter which type of paint I choose for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint usually used for interior walls will encounter some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their modern aesthetic. Common wall paints might not stick adequately to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint contractors use for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires longer time to dry and cure than those typically applied to walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my project?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the most suitable one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. The first place to begin is by knowing precisely what look you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their prior work matching what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Dependable contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate largely. Check that any contractor you consider gives written statements of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for any surprises to occur once the project begins that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the contractor's dependability by checking any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Can I paint my cabinets without sanding?
It's always enticing to quickly start painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt and grime are fully removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and its components, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach those places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in most cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only chip off and require repainting sooner than expected.
What things are considered when it comes to establishing price for painting cabinets?
There are several things that play into the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Homer Glen, Illinois, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first obtain quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors might bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the project completed.
You'll want to discuss your home's particular cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Beautify Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Homer Glen, Illinois
An exceptional way to increase the value of your house and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-effective choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will match your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Homer Glen, Illinois varies, but some customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects such as the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets might be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the right cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be willing to show you their history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Locate all the information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Homer Glen, Illinois confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.