Find a Cabinet Painter in Itasca, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Illinois // Itasca
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will it matter which type of paint I pick for my cabinets?
A frequently asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used for walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint typically used for home walls will encounter many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that sophisticated aesthetic. Typical wall paints may not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint professionals utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires longer time to dry and cure than those typically applied to walls.
Is it difficult to find an experienced cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to uncover the most suitable one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of effort. The best place to begin is by knowing exactly what look you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their previous work matching what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors would be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Check that any professional you consider gives documentation of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur once the project begins that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the contractor's reputation by checking their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients available online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Should I simply paint over my home's cabinets?
It's may be enticing to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grime are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and their gear, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach those places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in some cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only peel off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How much will I have to pay to paint my kitchen cabinets?
There are several factors that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Itasca, Illinois, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors may bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job performed.
You'll need to discuss your home's particular cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Itasca, Illinois Who Can Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to boost the appeal of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-effective option over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and give them a new look that will match your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Itasca, Illinois fluctuates, but many customers still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets could be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While searching for the right cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be happy to show you their history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Discover all important information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Itasca, Illinois easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.