Find Deck Staining in Lansing, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are the benefits of staining a deck vs painting it?
Deck staining and painting offer their own advantages, so it's essential to consider which option most meets your requirements when deciding between the two. The two most significant advantages of painting are the extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface shielding. However, paint also requires extensive upkeep due to flaking and fading over time. On the other hand, stain does not peel once properly dried, needs less effort to maintain, and has more advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering a deep layer of defense from moisture, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that boost durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is best for your needs.
Is the price of professional deck staining offset by any tangible benefits?
Staining a deck brings many benefits, such as enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that will help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your house and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a professional who can deliver excellent results. The climate in Lansing, IL poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the kind of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include keeping out bugs and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get the most out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
How much time should I expect a professional to take to finish deck staining?
Staining a deck is a detailed process that needs careful preparation and execution to get the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleaned of dirt and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres well. The surface should be sanded or repaired from any damage to provide a smooth application of the stain. The environment surrounding the work area, like pathways and buildings, will have to be blanketed by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you understand the best type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the look you want to achieve. Your contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to put on as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - Your contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've selected and how long it will take to cure. It's critical that the deck is not touched and that the weather is suitable during the drying process.
Each of these steps are complex and tedious, but attention to detail is vital to ensure a high-quality result. A reliable deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to complete the job fast while delivering your desired appearance and durability.
What season of the year is suggested for carrying out a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll get the best results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck works best while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot or cold temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive humidity will prolong drying times and raise the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have specifications on how long drying will take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor Near Lansing, IL on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its appearance and providing long-lasting protection against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to guarantee it turns out the way you expected.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer regarding picking the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
Many people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting provides more versatility in colors and looks and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away beneath heavy use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining your deck demands a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Executing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to a pro who can ensure excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Lansing, IL and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.