Find a Cabinet Painter in Mahomet, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Illinois // Mahomet
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
It seems like there's nothing to display in this area. Please try searching in a different location or using alternative search terms to find what you're looking for. If you need assistance, feel free to reach out to our support team for help!
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Which variety of paint do you use with cabinets?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for home walls will encounter some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their modern look. Common wall paints will not stick adequately to cabinets or start to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint contractors choose for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs extended time to dry and cure than those generally applied to walls.
Which features do I expect from a professional cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to discover the perfect one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of work. A good place to start is by understanding precisely what style you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their past work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Reliable contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Make sure that any painter you hire provides written statements of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project has started that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by checking any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the long prep step necessary when painting my cabinets?
It's may be enticing to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt or grease are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and their gear, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What factors are considered when it comes to establishing price for painting cabinets?
There are several factors that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Mahomet, IL, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors may charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job performed.
You'll need to talk about your home's particular cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Discover a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Mahomet, IL to Bring Your Ideas to Reality
A quick way to enhance the appeal of your house and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and provide an updated look that will match your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Mahomet, IL varies, but some homeowners have reported spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets may be in decent enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When hunting for the right cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be willing to share a history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Find all the information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Mahomet, IL confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.