Find a Cabinet Painter in Mansfield, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Illinois // Mansfield
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Does it matter what type of paint I choose for my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint usually used for home walls will encounter some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that sophisticated look. Common wall paints might not stick adequately to cabinets or start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs extended drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
What features do I look for from a reliable cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to find the perfect one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. The first place to start is by knowing precisely what style you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their prior work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Dependable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate largely. Check that any contractor you consider gives written statements of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project commences that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's reputation by assessing any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients available online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Can I paint my cabinets without sanding?
It's may be enticing to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grease are fully removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to those edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only chip away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
Will it be costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are several things that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Mansfield, IL, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first seek out quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters might bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the project completed.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Beautify Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Mansfield, IL
A smart way to enhance the value of your property and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter around Mansfield, IL varies, but some homeowners have reported spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects such as the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets may be in decent enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While hunting for the perfect cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be happy to share a history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Find all the information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Mansfield, IL easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.