Find a Cabinet Painter in Marine, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to renew the style of my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used on walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint usually used for interior walls will encounter some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their modern appearance. Typical wall paints will not adhere properly to cabinets or start to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint contractors choose for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs longer drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
How can I find the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of effort. The first place to focus on is by knowing precisely what aesthetic you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their past work matching your vision beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Reliable contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate significantly. Ensure that any professional you hire provides written statements of all equipment and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's timeline. What you don't want is for any surprises to pop up after the project begins that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by assessing their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers available online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Will I need to prime cabinets cabinets prior to painting?
It's always enticing to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grime are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and its components, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in many cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
Is it expensive to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many things that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Marine, Illinois, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first seek out quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters could charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will need to recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Discover a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Marine, Illinois to Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to increase the appeal of your home and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and provide an updated look that will suit your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Marine, Illinois varies, but some homeowners have reported spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors like the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets might be in good enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While searching for the perfect cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be willing to share their history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Discover all the information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Marine, Illinois confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.