Find Deck Staining in Maroa, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Does the climate play a role in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll get the best results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck works best while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with directions on how long drying will take, and it's required that it stays dry during this time. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
What preparations will a contractor conduct before diving into deck staining?
Detailed preparation of the deck and the surrounding area must be performed to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants should be pushed back, and nearby walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck might need to be washed and sanded to facilitate good penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the best stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects such as:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from certain stains that will offer your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from transparent to solid, with solid typically providing the most protection from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck has low strength, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the style of your house and lawn.
Will deck staining offer fewer advantages than painting?
Deck staining and painting have different advantages, so it's important to assess which option most suits your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant advantages of painting are its wider variety of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also needs more maintenance due to chipping and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly cured, requires minimal effort to care for, and has more advantages, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering better protection against moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that boost durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which option is best for you and your home.
Can staining a deck provide any benefits other than aesthetics?
Staining a deck comes with several benefits, such as enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are sold in a variety of hues and opacities that will help reinvigorate the look of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you might think by choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor to deliver excellent results. The weather in Maroa, Illinois is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the species of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include keeping out insects and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Maroa, Illinois on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for refreshing its appearance and providing long-lasting protection against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor will handle the challenging task for you, from prep to application and drying, to guarantee it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to devote to the project. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to safeguard the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that professionals can share when it comes to selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting has better versatility in colors and aesthetics and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away under frequent foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and contains pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. It also doesn't need to be reapplied for a few years if adequately cured.
Staining a deck calls for a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Carrying out the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by enlisting a pro who can deliver stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Maroa, Illinois and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.