Find Deck Staining in Marseilles, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What aspects are considered when estimating the cost of deck staining by contractors?
Several factors can influence the cost of expert deck staining services, but square footage and the current state of the deck will have the largest impact. Contractors will give an estimate based on the size of the deck, but that price may go up if extensive prep or repairs need to be conducted before application.
The brand of stain you choose for your deck will be calculated into the final cost, and premium options featuring better UV protection and water resistance can be more expensive. Also remember that how difficult your deck is to reach or work around could contribute to higher labor costs from your contractor. Any extra services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or adding multiple coats of stain, may also raise the overall costs.
When assessing professional deck staining services, it's a good idea to obtain multiple estimates, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor gives clear communication about scheduling. You can find all the necessary information to make informed decisions and get the best contractor for the job at Thumbtack.
What kind of time frame can I anticipate from professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that needs careful preparation and execution to achieve the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleansed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks properly. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to provide a consistent application during the following step. The environment around the work area, including pathways and structures, will have to be protected with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you pick the right type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the style you're trying to achieve. Your contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to put on as many coats as are needed for good penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - A contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've selected and how long it will take to cure. It's important that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable throughout the curing process.
All of these steps can be challenging and time-consuming, but proper execution is critical to ensure a high-quality result. A dependable deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to complete the job quickly while achieving your desired appearance and durability.
Which time of the year is recommended for undertaking my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll achieve better results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is best while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot and cold temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive humidity can prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have specifications on how long curing will take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
What prep should be performed before staining my deck?
Detailed preparation of your deck and the surrounding environment must be performed to guarantee a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants should be pushed back, and any pathways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck may need to be washed or sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the right stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from particular stains that will provide your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid usually providing superior defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for low durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its hue and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the aesthetic of your home and lawn.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor in Marseilles, Illinois on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for updating its appearance and providing long-lasting protection against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures appropriately to safeguard the wood from water, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can offer regarding picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain won't offer as many style options as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting provides better versatility in colors and aesthetics and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away under heavy use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deep into the wood and contains pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. It also doesn't need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining your deck demands attention to detail and careful consideration for every step of the project. Executing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can guarantee excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Marseilles, Illinois and choose the right one matching your needs and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.