Find a Cabinet Painter in Medinah, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Illinois // Medinah
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I limited by the kind of paint I can use for my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will face many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that elegant appearance. Common wall paints may not stick sufficiently to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended time to dry and cure than those usually applied to walls.
Which features should I expect from a reliable cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the most suitable one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to begin is by knowing precisely what aesthetic you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their previous work similar to your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate significantly. Make sure that any painter you consider gives written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. What you don't need is for any surprises to occur once the project has started that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the contractor's dependability by checking their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Is the difficult prep stage a necessity when painting all cabinets?
It's may be enticing to quickly begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grime are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How can you estimate the price for cabinet painting?
There are many things that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Medinah, IL, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first obtain quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors could charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project completed.
You'll need to talk about your home's particular cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Medinah, IL to Bring Your Vision to Life
A quick way to boost the appeal of your property and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and give them an updated look that will match your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter around Medinah, IL fluctuates, but many homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors like the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the planet when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your present cabinets might be in decent enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While searching for the best cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be happy to show you a history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Find all important information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Medinah, IL confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.