Find a Cabinet Painter in Montgomery, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Illinois // Montgomery
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What kind of paint do you use on cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used for walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will face some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their sleek look. Common wall paints might not adhere adequately to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The type of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates longer drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
How can I know I've chosen the right cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to find the most suitable one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of work. A good place to focus on is by understanding precisely what look you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their previous work similar to your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Check that any painter you consider gives written statements of all equipment and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project begins that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by checking any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Is it really crucial to prime and sand cabinets prior to painting?
It's always tempting to quickly start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt and grime are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and its components, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach any edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How much will it cost to paint my kitchen cabinets?
There are many things that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Montgomery, IL, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters could bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will have to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the project completed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Choose a Cabinet Painter in Montgomery, IL Who Will Bring Your Vision to Reality
A smart way to enhance the value of your home and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter around Montgomery, IL varies, but some customers have reported spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects like the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets may be in fair enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
While hunting for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should evaluate their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be willing to share a history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the job is finished. Discover all the information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Montgomery, IL easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.