Find Deck Staining in Monticello, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Does deck staining offer more benefits than painting?
Deck staining and painting offer unique benefits, so it's important to assess which option most suits your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are the wider variety of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also requires extensive maintenance because of peeling and fading over time. On the other hand, stain does not peel if properly dried, requires minimal effort to care for, and has more benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better defense against moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that boost durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is best for your needs.
Why do so many homeowners say deck staining is a good investment?
Staining a deck offers many benefits, including enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are sold in a range of colors and opacities that can help re-energize the aesthetic of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a professional who can deliver excellent results. The climate in Monticello, IL is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the kind of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How long can it take an expert to complete my deck staining job?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that requires careful preparation and execution to get the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dirt and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres properly. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to provide a consistent application of the stain. The environment surrounding the work area, like walkways and structures, will also need to be covered with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you pick the best kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the look you want to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to put on as many coats as are required for good penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - Your contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to dry. It's critical that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable throughout the curing step.
Each of these steps can be challenging and time-consuming, but proper execution is necessary to ensure a high-quality result. A vetted deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to complete the job quickly while achieving your desired appearance and durability.
Will the weather play a hand in the timing of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll achieve the best results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining your deck is better while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive moisture can extend drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with directions on how long curing should take, and it's essential that it remains dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Monticello, IL on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for revitalizing its appearance and providing long-lasting durability from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to ensure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a professional is highly recommended if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures correctly to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that experts can share regarding selecting the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting offers more variety of colors and styles and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away under constant use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from rot and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for two to three years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining your deck demands a practiced hand and careful consideration for every step of the project. Carrying out the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by turning to a professional who can promise stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Monticello, IL and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.