Find a Cabinet Painter in Moro, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a difference with cabinet paint and regular paint?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used on walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will encounter many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them that modern look. Common wall paints might not stick sufficiently to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended time to dry and cure than those generally applied to walls.
How can I pick a painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to uncover the perfect one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of effort. The first place to begin is by knowing precisely what aesthetic you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their past work matching your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Ensure that any painter you hire provides documentation of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project begins that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's dependability by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Is it really crucial to prime or sand cabinets before painting?
It's may be tempting to immediately begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grime are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach those edges that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in most cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than expected.
How can you estimate the price for cabinet painting?
There are several things that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Moro, IL, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first obtain quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters might charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project completed.
You'll need to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Update Your Cabinets for Less With a Dependable Cabinet Painter in Moro, IL
A quick way to enhance the value of your house and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-efficient choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will match your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Moro, IL varies, but many customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects like the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets could be in good enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the best cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be happy to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Find all important information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Moro, IL confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.