Find a Cabinet Painter in Morris, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What variety of paint is used with cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that modern look. Typical wall paints will not adhere properly to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs longer drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
What qualities do I expect from a reliable cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to find the best one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to begin is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their previous work similar to your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Dependable contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate significantly. Ensure that any professional you consider gives written statements of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for any surprises to pop up once the project begins that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Will I have to prime cabinets cabinets prior to painting?
It's may be enticing to quickly begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grease are fully removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their components, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to any edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only flake away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What is the usual cost for an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
There are many factors that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Morris, Illinois, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's advised to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors may charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job completed.
You'll want to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Refresh Your Home for Less With a Dependable Cabinet Painter in Morris, Illinois
A quick way to increase the appeal of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-effective choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and give them an updated look that will match your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Morris, Illinois varies, but many customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets could be in decent enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be happy to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Find all the information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Morris, Illinois easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.