Find a pro in Morton Grove, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
How long does it take to replace a roof?
The timeframe for a roof replacement is dependent on the size of your roof, but there are also many other factors to consider. The typical residential roof is around 3,000 sq. feet, so on average, a roofing professional can finish a roof replacement within a day.
Something else you need to take into consideration is the weather report in Morton Grove, IL. Bad weather will make working conditions terrible and this can really delay the job. If this is going on during your scheduled project, you could expect your roof to take a few more days to complete.
The layout of your roof is an important factor that you should take into account. Its grade, the number of joints, valleys, and facets will need to be factored in when your roofing contractor is giving an estimate for the job. A complex roof will require a longer timeline and your roof replacement contractor will be able to come up with a timeline for the project.
Which roof style is the most affordable?
The most affordable style of roof is going to be asphalt shingles, and just because they are the lower-cost option, it doesn’t mean they should be disregarded. In fact, you’ll see most houses in your neighborhood with asphalt shingling on the roof since they are reliable and do a great job of protecting your property while being the affordable option. Plus, they have a simple style that will look good on any house.
However, asphalt shingles have the tendency to be replaced more often than the more expensive materials. They typically have a 15-20 year lifespan. But there is the option to purchase top-quality asphalt shingles that do last longer.
When should I replace my roof?
You should consider replacing your roof when repairs just don’t cut it anymore. A roof replacement is necessary if you’re putting up with these kinds of issues:
- AGE: When your roof is older, the possibility of it needing to be replaced is greater. Asphalt shingles are very common amongst residential properties and these typically have a lifespan of 15-20 years. If the roof on your property has aged this much, it’s a smart idea to get regular inspections in order to determine when a roof replacement is necessary.
- SAGGING: If your roof is drooping, it's a clue that the deck plywood is rotted. Sagging is not a good sign, and this usually means you need a roof replacement.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof protects the rest of your property, so there should be no shock that the materials that make up your roof will deteriorate over time.
How much is a roof?
It’s difficult to narrow down how much a new roof is going to cost you since there are a few factors that will influence the overall cost. Commonly, a new roof can cost anywhere from $4 to $40 per square foot, which includes labor and the materials used. The price of your roof replacement will be calculated by the materials you want installed, and you can expect that 60% of the price will be towards labor.
Estimating the size of your roof can also be hard if your roof is more complex since you’ll have to account for various angles. This is where a roofing expert can be of assistance. They’ll be able to determine the square footage of your roof and provide you with an accurate estimate on the price of your roof.
Roofing Repair & Roofing Replacement Services in Morton Grove, IL
Thumbtack will make your search for roofing maintenance services more convenient in Morton Grove, IL. Our user-friendly app gives you all the convenience you need, which means you can search through a range of profiles and easily narrow down your options. We assist in the hiring process by providing you access to ratings, pricing, background, and more. Begin your search for a roofing maintenance company here on Thumbtack and find the right candidate for your project.
Our app also compiles a wealth of information to help you before you start browsing through our network of licensed roofing professionals.
For the most part you'll know when you need to call in a roofing replacement or roofing repair company, but here are some other things about your roof to take into consideration:
- Age: Your roof is good for about 20-25 years, so if you think your roof has been around for longer, it might be time to call a roofing contractor to come inspect it.
- Warps or Buckling: The sheets of wood used for decking can warp or bend over time.
- Valleys in Your Roof: Roofs are built to allow snow and rain to flow through the valleys downward to your gutters. If there are shingles missing or they've deteriorated, you could experience some leaks.
- The Chimney Flashing: When the flashing around your chimney is roof cement you may need to replace it with a water-tight fitting such as a metal flashing system.
- Shingles: Routing inspections of your shingles will let you know if they need to be replaced. If you see some discoloration on your shingles, replacing those is a smart idea so that your roof doesn't undergo more extensive damages.
Find someone who can make your roofing maintenance an easy process. Once you’ve found the company you want, it’s just a matter of requesting a quote and booking an appointment to get your roof in order.