Find Deck Staining in Mount Auburn, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Illinois // Mount Auburn
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What factors most affect the price of professional deck staining services?
Many factors will affect the cost of professional deck staining services, but size and the current state of the deck will have the largest impact. Contractors should provide an estimate based on the size of the deck, but the price can increase if extensive prep or repairs need to be conducted before stain is applied.
The type of stain you select for the deck will be included in the final price, and high-end products with better UV protection and water resistance will be more expensive. Keep in mind that how challenging your deck is to reach or work around will lead to higher labor costs from a professional service. Any additional services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or applying multiple layers of stain, could also increase your final costs.
When evaluating professional deck staining services, it's essential to get multiple estimates, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor gives clear communication about scheduling. Residents of Mount Auburn, IL will discover all the necessary information to make informed decisions and get the best contractor for deck staining at Thumbtack.
How long might it take a contractor to complete a deck staining job?
Staining a deck is a multiphase project that needs careful preparation and execution to achieve the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks well. The surface should be sanded or repaired of any damage to provide a smooth application during the following step. Anything around the work area, such as walkways and structures, will have to be covered with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you select the right kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the style you want to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to put on as many coats as are required for good penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - Your contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it takes to cure. It's critical that the deck is not used and that the weather is suitable during the curing step.
Each of these steps are challenging and tedious, but proper execution is vital to ensure a high-quality result. A vetted deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to complete the job quickly while achieving the desired appearance and durability.
Which time of the year is suggested for conducting my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll achieve the best results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining your deck is best while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm or cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive moisture will prolong drying times and raise the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature specifications on how long curing will take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
What prep should be conducted before staining my deck?
Careful preparation of the deck and the surrounding area must be performed to guarantee a good result. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be removed, and any walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck might need to be washed or sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Selecting the right stain for any deck is an important step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors like:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from certain stains that will offer your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid typically providing the most defense from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has low strength, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the appearance of your house and grounds.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Mount Auburn, IL on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for revitalizing its appearance and providing unmatched protection against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle the challenging task for you, from preparation to application and curing, to guarantee it turns out the way you expected.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting provides more versatility in colors and styles and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times over the years as it flakes away under heavy use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from rot and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining your deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration at every step of the project. Performing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by turning to a pro who can promise stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Mount Auburn, IL and choose the right one matching your vision and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.