Find a Cabinet Painter in New Berlin, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Illinois // New Berlin
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will it matter which kind of paint I use for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint generally used for interior walls will face many challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their sophisticated look. Common wall paints will not stick adequately to cabinets and can start to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs extended drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
How do I find the right painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to find the most suitable one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of work. The first place to focus on is by understanding precisely what look you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their prior work matching what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate largely. Make sure that any professional you hire gives written statements of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project begins that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reputation by assessing any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Should I paint my cabinets before sanding?
It's may be enticing to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it on your own, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt and grime are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and their hardware, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach any edges that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only peel off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What things are considered when it comes to the price of painting cabinets?
There are many things that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around New Berlin, IL, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first seek out quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors could charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will need to recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job performed.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Refresh Your Home for Less With a Professional Cabinet Painter Near New Berlin, IL
A smart way to increase the value of your house and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and give them a new look that will suit your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor in New Berlin, IL varies, but many homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors like the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your present cabinets could be in decent enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
While hunting for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should evaluate their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Discover all the information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in New Berlin, IL confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.