Find Deck Staining in Oak Brook, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the weather ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll achieve better results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works better while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm or colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much moisture will extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature directions on how long drying will take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
What preparatory measures should be taken before beginning the deck staining process?
Careful preparation of your deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be performed to guarantee a good finish. Vegetation should be removed, and any pathways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be cleaned or sanded to facilitate good penetration and sticking.
Choosing the best stain for your deck is an important step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects such as:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from particular stains that will give your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid usually providing superior protection from water and UV rays. If your wood species has low strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the style of your home and yard.
Would it be better to stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting offer their own advantages, so it's important to consider which option best fits your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant advantages of painting are the extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also requires more upkeep due to flaking and fading over time. On the other hand, stain does not peel once properly dried, requires less effort to maintain, and has more advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing a deep layer of protection against moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that increase durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be best for your needs.
Can staining my deck help protect it from weather-related damage?
Staining a deck comes with several advantages, including enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a variety of colors and opacities that will help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you may think by choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor to guarantee excellent results. The climate in Oak Brook, IL poses the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how strong the type of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include keeping out insects and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more out of your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor Near Oak Brook, IL on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for revitalizing its look and providing unmatched protection from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries correctly to safeguard the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that experts can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain won't offer as much variety as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting gives more variety of colors and looks and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times throughout the years as it flakes away under frequent use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and carries pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. It also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining your deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration through every step of the process. Conducting the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring a professional who can promise stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Oak Brook, IL and choose the best one matching your vision and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.