Find a Cabinet Refinisher in Oak Forest, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET REFINISHING
How often will cabinets need to be refinished
One of the great things about wood is that it is able to be refinished several times to make furniture appear the way it did when new, which applies to wood cabinets, as well. The frequency at which a professional can refinish cabinets is dependent on a few factors, such as the durability of the wood, the components, and how well the cabinets have been maintained. How long any refinished cabinets will hold up before the process must be repeated is dependent on wear and tear and what kind of maintenance you conduct. A well-done cabinet refinishing project can last anywhere from 5 to 10 years or more, depending on the factors talked about above.
When should I consider refinishing my cabinets as opposed to purchasing them new?
Cabinet refinishing is almost always less expensive than purchasing new models and is a worthwhile investment in many circumstances, including when:
- Current Cabinets Are in Good Condition: If the cabinets are damaged or decayed, it may be more beneficial to go with a replacement.
- Living "Green" Is a Priority: If protecting the environment is a priority, you may want to consider cabinet refinishing as a better practice to reduce landfill trash by refreshing your existing cabinets.
- You Want Unique and Personalized Cabinets: Refinishing gives you choices between a large variety of colors and finishes to bring to life a vision that is wholly unique and matches your sense of style.
- Trying To Get a Better Return on Investment: If you're planning to sell your residence, cabinet refinishing can be a relatively affordable project to boost its value and maximize ROI.
- You Are Satisfied With the Existing Layout and Functionality: You're existing cabinets could already work great with your kitchen's layout and provide ideal functionality.
- Avoiding Disruption is Preferred: Cabinet refinishing results in minimal disruption to your daily life in contrast to a complete cabinet replacement.
Homeowners of Oak Forest, Illinois have reported spending as much as 70% less when refinishing their cabinets as opposed to replacing them. Prior to choosing cabinet refinishing, evaluate your personal preferences, budget, and the condition of your cabinets to understand if this project is best for you.
Which certifications or licenses will a cabinet refinishing professional likely possess?
While there aren't industry-mandated licenses specifically for cabinet refinishing professionals, there are certain qualifications and indicators of skill that you can look for when hiring someone to refinish your cabinets. Many of the best contractors will highlight their background in carpentry, woodworking, or a relevant skill on their Thumbtack page.
You will want to ask the contractor you are thinking about hiring for a portfolio with pictures of cabinets they have refinished for previous clients, especially featuring finished projects that are similar to the style you're trying to achieve. Along with a portfolio, most professional contractors will showcase their experience and reliability through online customer reviews.
A dependable professional will provide a clear written estimate of the job before it begins, listing the scope of work, materials, and all associated costs. Contractors should possess adequate communication skills and be able to address all of your questions and concerns regarding cost, time, and quality during the refinishing project. You should also ask about any warranties or guarantees with the service, which is another factor that can demonstrate they have confidence in the quality of their craftsmanship.
How is cabinet refinishing done?
An expert working on your cabinet refinishing project will follow an established process for efficiency and excellent results. There are usually numerous steps taken to transform the style of existing cabinets, including:
- Assessment and Preparation: Cabinets are first evaluated to make sure they are in proper condition for refinishing. If so, any hardware will be disassembled, including handles, knobs, and hinges, and the surfaces will be cleaned to remove any dirt, grease, or other contaminants.
- Touch-Up and Fill: Some small issues, like cracks, dings, or other imperfections in the wood will be repaired or filled before being blended in when staining or painting.
- Painting or Staining: Your choice of paint, stain, or finishing method will be applied in thin, even coats to accomplish the look you're looking for. The drying and curing process will be crucial to giving a professional outcome, and may need a few hours to complete.
- Reassembly: Once the paint or stain completely cures, any parts will be put back on and cabinets fully reassembled for use. A quality inspection will make sure the final results satisfies your standards, which includes a final cleanup of the entire work area.
It's important to note that the specific refinishing process can vary depending on things like the kind of cabinets and the desired finish. Furthermore, professionals may employ detailed methods, such as distressing or glazing, to achieve specific stylistic results, which will require a longer process with more steps. Be sure to communicate clearly with any contractor you hire to ensure they have the skill to bring your vision to life.
One Platform Containing All The Information Needed To Hire The Right Cabinet Refinisher Near Oak Forest, Illinois With Confidence
Cabinet refinishing is a great way to transform the style of your space by updating the appearance of existing cabinets without the need for a full replacement. Experienced cabinet refinishers sand and apply your choice of finishes, including paint, stain, or other methods to your existing cabinets to deliver a new look that suits your sense of style and design preferences.
The cost-effectiveness of cabinet refinishing is one of its primary benefits, and several people in Oak Forest, Illinois have reported spending as much as 70% less than they would on having new cabinets built and hung. Attaining a fresh and updated look for your kitchen cabinets for less money will give you a bigger return on your investment, increasing the value of your house simultaneously.
Environmental considerations also play a part in why more people are beginning to refinish used cabinets instead of buy and install new models. Refinishing is a green option that celebrates eco-conscious values in home improvement by minimizing toxic waste and reducing demand for wood materials.
Another great benefit of cabinet refinishing is that the process will be many times less chaotic to your home than the work it takes to install new ones. Whether purchasing stock or custom-built new cabinets, the kitchen where they're hung will often face some level of demolition and reconstruction for them to fit adequately. The result is much more debris everywhere and could take weeks or months before the room is ready for use again, whereas an effective refinishing job is less messy and the better alternative for anyone on a tight schedule.
When selecting a contractor for your cabinet refinishing project, gain insights into their knowledge and skill through galleries of past work, if they offer any warranties on their workmanship, online customer reviews, and how clearly they communicate with you about time and costs. All of this valuable information and more is on the simple-to-use Thumbtack platform to help you hire a cabinet refinishing contractor in Oak Forest, Illinois confidently.