Find a Cabinet Painter in Oak Lawn, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Illinois // Oak Lawn
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to update the style of my cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them that sophisticated aesthetic. Common wall paints may not stick adequately to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint professionals choose for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended time to dry and cure than those usually applied to walls.
Is it easy to find a good cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the perfect one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to begin is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their prior work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate significantly. Check that any contractor you consider provides documentation of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project begins that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Give attention to the contractor's dependability by checking any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets without sanding?
It's may be tempting to immediately begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt and grime are fully removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and their hardware, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to those edges that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only peel off and require repainting sooner than expected.
Will it be costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many things that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Oak Lawn, IL, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first seek out quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor will have to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Refresh Your Kitchen for Less With a Reliable Cabinet Painter Near Oak Lawn, IL
An exceptional way to boost the appeal of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and deliver a new look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Oak Lawn, IL fluctuates, but some customers still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the planet when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets might be in decent enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While looking for the right cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be willing to share their history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the job is finished. Locate all the information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Oak Lawn, IL confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.