Find Deck Staining in Oglesby, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are some benefits of staining a deck compared to painting it?
Deck staining and painting offer unique advantages, so it's important to consider which option best fits your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant advantages of painting are the wider selection of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also requires more maintenance due to peeling and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly cured, requires minimal effort to care for, and has other advantages, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering better defense from moisture, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the benefits of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is right for your needs.
Will staining a deck deliver any benefits other than aesthetics?
Staining a deck brings several benefits, including enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a range of hues and opacities that can help revitalize the aesthetic of your house and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a professional who can ensure excellent results. The weather in Oglesby, IL poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the kind of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include stopping bugs and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most from your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How much time can I expect a professional to take to finish deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious process that requires careful preparation and execution to achieve the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres properly. The surface should be sanded or repaired of any damage to enable a smooth application of the stain. The environment immediately outside of the work area, such as pathways and structures, will also need to be blanketed with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you select the right kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the aesthetic you want to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to apply as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - The contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to cure. It's important that the deck is not touched and that the weather is fitting during the curing process.
Each of these steps are challenging and tedious, but attention to detail is necessary to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to complete the job quickly while delivering your desired look and durability.
Which time of the year is recommended for carrying out my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll achieve the best results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck is better while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive moisture can prolong drying times and raise the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with specifications on how long curing will take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this time. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor Near Oglesby, IL on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its look and providing unmatched durability against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from preparation to application and curing, to guarantee it turns out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to protect the wood from water, sun, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that professionals can offer regarding choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain won't offer as many style options as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting has better versatility in colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it chips away under heavy foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years if adequately cured.
Staining any deck requires attention to detail and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Carrying out the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by turning to an expert who can ensure stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Oglesby, IL and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.