Find a Cabinet Painter in Okawville, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What kind of paint do you use with cabinets?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint usually used for home walls will encounter many challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that sophisticated appearance. Typical wall paints may not stick properly to cabinets or start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint professionals utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires extended drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor suffice for my job?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to find the best one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of work. The first place to start is by understanding exactly what look you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their prior work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget in mind when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate largely. Make sure that any painter you consider gives documentation of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for any surprises to occur after the project commences that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past customers available online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Should I paint my cabinets before sanding?
It's may be enticing to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grease are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and its components, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach any nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in most cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How much will I have to pay to paint my current cabinets?
There are many things that play into the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Okawville, IL, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's advised to first seek out quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors could bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll want to discuss your home's specific cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Find a Cabinet Painter Near Okawville, IL to Bring Your Vision to Reality
An exceptional way to enhance the value of your house and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and provide a new look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter near Okawville, IL fluctuates, but many customers have reported spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets could be in fair enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
When hunting for the best cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be willing to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all important information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Okawville, IL easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.