Find a Cabinet Painter in Orland Park, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Illinois // Orland Park
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a distinction with cabinet paint and regular paint?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint typically used for home walls will face many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their sophisticated aesthetic. Common wall paints will not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs extended time to dry and cure than those typically applied to walls.
What qualities should I expect from a reliable cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to uncover the best one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to focus on is by understanding exactly what look you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their previous work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Reliable contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Ensure that any professional you consider gives documentation of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for any surprises to occur after the project begins that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Can I paint my cabinets before sanding?
It's always enticing to immediately begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grease are fully removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their components, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach any edges that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in most cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What is the average cost of a professional cabinet painter?
There are several factors that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Orland Park, Illinois, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors could charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Update Your Home for Less With a Reliable Cabinet Painter in Orland Park, Illinois
A quick way to increase the appeal of your home and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will suit your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter in Orland Park, Illinois varies, but many homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects such as the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your current cabinets might be in decent enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When searching for the best cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be happy to share a history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all important information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Orland Park, Illinois confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.