Find a Cabinet Painter in Percy, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I limited to the type of paint I can put on my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will face some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that sophisticated aesthetic. Common wall paints will not stick sufficiently to cabinets or start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors use for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those usually used on walls.
Which qualities do I search for from a professional cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the perfect one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of effort. A good place to begin is by knowing precisely what look you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their previous work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and ability. Professional contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Check that any painter you hire gives written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project has started that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's reliability by checking their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers available online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets before sanding?
It's always enticing to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt and grime are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and its components, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in many cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than expected.
What things are considered when it comes to establishing price of painting cabinets?
There are several things that play into the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Percy, IL, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first obtain quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters could bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter will have to recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project finished.
You'll need to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Update Your Kitchen for Less With a Dependable Cabinet Painter Near Percy, IL
A quick way to boost the value of your home and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-efficient choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and give them an updated look that will match your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Percy, IL fluctuates, but some homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors like the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in fair enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
When looking for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable painter will be willing to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Find all the information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Percy, IL easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.