Find Deck Staining in Percy, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Would painting my deck be a better choice than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer different advantages, so it's important to analyze which option most suits your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are the extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also demands extensive maintenance due to chipping and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly dried, needs minimal effort to maintain, and has other advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering a deep layer of protection against moisture, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that enhance durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is right for your needs.
Why do I hear so many people say deck staining is a smart investment?
Staining a deck provides several benefits, including enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of hues and opacities that will help reinvigorate the style of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor who can deliver excellent results. The climate in Percy, Illinois poses the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how durable the species of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
What sort of time frame can I expect from professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious process that needs careful preparation and execution to get the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleansed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks properly. The surface should be sanded or repaired from any damage to provide a smooth application during the following step. Anything surrounding the work area, such as walkways and structures, will have to be protected with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you pick the right kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to apply as many coats as are required for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it will take to dry. It's critical that the deck is not touched and that the weather is suitable during the drying step.
All of these steps are challenging and time-consuming, but proper execution is vital to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to complete the job quickly while delivering your desired appearance and durability.
Is there a certain season that's better for deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll achieve better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck works better when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm or cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much moisture will prolong drying times and heighten the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have specifications on how long drying should take, and it's essential that it stays dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor in Percy, Illinois on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for updating its appearance and providing unmatched protection from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from preparation to application and drying, to make sure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to safeguard the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer regarding selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting gives more versatility in colors and looks and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times throughout the years as it chips away beneath constant use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and contains pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mold and insect damage. It also won't need reapplication for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining a deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration for every step of the process. Conducting the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring an expert who can deliver excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Percy, Illinois and choose the right one matching your needs and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.