Find a Cabinet Refinisher in Plainfield, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET REFINISHING
How frequently can cabinets undergo refinishing
One of the best things with wood is that it can be refinished multiple times to make furniture look as it did when new, and this benefit applies to wood cabinets, too. The frequency at which a professional can refinish cabinets is dependent on a few factors, such as the durability of the wood, the materials used, and how well the cabinets have been maintained. How long your refinished cabinets will hold up before the process needs to be followed up is dependent on wear and tear and what sort of maintenance you perform. A thorough cabinet refinishing service could last anywhere from 5 to 10 years or more, depending on the factors talked about above.
Is cabinet refinishing a wise investment for my house?
Cabinet refinishing is almost always cheaper than purchasing new ones and is a wise investment in many circumstances, including when:
- Current Cabinets Are in Decent Condition: If your cabinets are damaged or significantly warped, it could be more worthwhile to go with a replacement.
- Living "Green" Is a Value: If protecting the environment is one of your biggest values, you may want to think about cabinet refinishing as a better practice to reduce landfill trash by upcycling your existing cabinetry.
- You Want Unique and Personalized Cabinets: Refinishing gives you choices between a huge range of colors and finishes to achieve a vision that is wholly unique and suits your tastes.
- Boosting Home Resale Value Cost-Effectively: If you're planning to sell your house, cabinet refinishing can be a cost-effective way to boost your property's appeal to try and maximize ROI.
- You Are Pleased With the Current Layout and Functionality: You're existing cabinets may already fit in well with your kitchen's layout and give ideal functionality.
- Avoiding Disruption is Preferred: Cabinet refinishing requires minimal disruption to your daily life compared to a full cabinet replacement.
Residents of Plainfield, Illinois have related paying nearly 70% less when refinishing their cabinets compared to replacing them. Before picking cabinet refinishing, evaluate your personal preferences, budget, and the condition of your cabinets to know if this project is right for you.
Are there any licenses or qualifications I need to consider when hiring a cabinet refinishing contractor?
Though there aren't industry-standard licenses specifically for cabinet refinishing professionals, there are some qualifications and indicators of expertise that you can look for when hiring someone to refinish your cabinets. Most professional contractors will showcase any certifications in carpentry, woodworking, or a relevant skill on their Thumbtack profile.
You will want to ask the contractor you are thinking about hiring for a portfolio with pictures of cabinets they have refinished for previous clients, especially featuring results that look like the style you're trying to achieve. Along with a picture gallery, most professional contractors will highlight their experience and reputation with online customer feedback.
A reputable expert can provide a detailed written estimate of the job before it commences, listing the scope of services, materials, and all associated costs. Contractors should have good communication skills and a readiness to answer any questions and concerns regarding budget, schedule, and quality throughout the refinishing project. It would be wise to also inquire about any warranties or guarantees from a contractor, which is another indication that can demonstrate they have confidence in the quality of their craftsmanship.
What is the professional way for refinishing cabinets?
A contractor working on your cabinet refinishing job will follow an established process for efficiency and excellent results. There are generally many steps taken to transform the style of existing cabinets, for example:
- Evaluation and Preparation: Cabinets should be first inspected to make sure they are in proper condition to be refinished. If so, all gear will be disassembled, such as handles, knobs, and hinges, and the surfaces will be cleaned to remove any dirt, grease, or other contaminants.
- Repair and Fill: Some minor issues, such as scratches, dings, and similar imperfections in the wood will be repaired or filled before being blended in with staining or painting.
- Painting or Staining: Your choice of paint, stain, or finishing technique will be applied in thin, even coats to achieve the look you're looking for. The drying and curing step is vital to giving a professional outcome, and could require several hours to accomplish.
- Reassembly: After your paint or stain has dried, all hardware will be reattached and cabinets fully reassembled for use. A quality inspection will guarantee the finished results satisfies your expectations, which includes a final cleanup of the complete work area.
It's important to keep in mind that any refinishing project can vary depending on things like the type of cabinets and the chosen finish. Furthermore, professionals may perform detailed techniques, such as distressing or glazing, to achieve specific aesthetic results, which will require a longer process with more steps. Make sure to speak directly with any contractor you hire to ensure they can bring your vision to life.
Hire The Right Professional for Cabinet Refinishing Near Plainfield, Illinois
Cabinet refinishing is a great way to beautify the look of your home by updating the appearance of existing cabinets without the need for a complete replacement. Experienced cabinet refinishers sand and apply customized finishes, like paint, stain, or other techniques to your existing cabinets to give a new look that aligns with your sense of style and design preferences.
The cost-effectiveness of cabinet refinishing is one of its primary perks, and many people in Plainfield, Illinois have reported paying up to 70% less than they would on having new cabinets built and installed. Achieving a fresh and updated look for your used cabinets for less money will give you a bigger return on your investment, increasing the value of your house at the same time.
Environmental considerations also play a part in why many people are starting to refinish their cabinets versus buy and install new ones. Refinishing is a green choice that celebrates eco-conscious practices in home improvement by minimizing harmful waste and lessening demand for cutting more trees.
Another excellent advantage of cabinet refinishing is that the process is much less chaotic to your lifestyle than the work it takes to install new ones. Whether purchasing stock or custom-made new cabinets, the kitchen where they're installed will likely face some degree of demolition and reconstruction before they fit properly. The result is much more dust and could take weeks or months to get your kitchen ready for use again, whereas an effective refinishing job is less messy and the better alternative for anyone working with a shorter timeframe.
When considering an expert for your cabinet refinishing job, get a feel for their experience and reliability through pictures of their past work, if they supply any guarantees on their workmanship, online customer reviews, and how well they communicate with you about time and costs. All of this valuable information and more can be found on the easy-to-use Thumbtack platform so you can hire a cabinet refinishing contractor in Plainfield, Illinois with confidence.