Find a Cabinet Painter in Rantoul, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Illinois // Rantoul
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Does it matter which kind of paint I choose for my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will encounter many challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that sophisticated appearance. Common wall paints might not stick adequately to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates extended time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my job?
Vetting cabinet painters to find the perfect one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of work. A good place to start is by knowing precisely what look you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their previous work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Reliable contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate significantly. Check that any painter you hire provides written statements of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project begins that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by evaluating any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the difficult prep step a necessity before painting my cabinets?
It's may be tempting to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it on your own, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt or grease are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and their components, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in most cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What is the typical cost for a professional cabinet painter?
There are many things that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Rantoul, IL, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first seek out quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will need to recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Rantoul, IL Who Can Bring Your Ideas to Life
An exceptional way to boost the value of your home and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will match your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter near Rantoul, IL varies, but many homeowners have reported spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors such as the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets could be in fair enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be willing to show you a history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is finished. Discover all important information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Rantoul, IL easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.