Find Deck Staining in Richmond, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
How will different factors impact the expense of hiring a professional for deck staining?
Several factors can influence the cost of expert deck staining services, but size and the current condition of the deck will have the largest impact. Contractors will give an initial quote based on the size of the deck, but that price may increase if extensive prep and repairs need to be completed before application.
The kind of stain you choose for your project will be reflected in the final price, and premium products with better UV protection and water resistance can be more expensive. Keep in mind that how hard your deck is to reach or maneuver around could result in higher labor costs from a professional service. Any additional services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or applying more layers of stain, could also raise the final cost.
When considering professional deck staining contractors, it's a good idea to get multiple estimates, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor provides clear communication about the timeline for your project. Residents of Richmond, Illinois can find all the necessary information to make informed decisions and hire the best contractor for the job at Thumbtack.
How long should I anticipate a professional to take when deck staining?
Staining a deck is a multistep process that needs careful preparation and application to get the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dirt and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres properly. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired of any damage to enable a consistent application of the stain. Anything immediately outside of the work area, such as walkways and structures, will have to be covered by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you pick the best type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to apply as many coats as are needed for good penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - Your contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've selected and how long it takes to dry. It's important that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable for the curing step.
All of these steps can be challenging and time-consuming, but performing them correctly is vital to ensure the best result. A vetted deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to finish the job quickly while achieving your desired appearance and durability.
What is the best weather for staining a deck?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll achieve the best results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck is best when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm or cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as excessive humidity can extend drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature directions on how long curing will take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
What prep will a professional undertake before diving into deck staining?
Careful prepping of your deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be carried out to ensure a good result. Vegetation will need to be removed, and nearby walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck might need to be cleaned and sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Selecting the best stain for any deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors such as:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from certain stains that will give your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid typically delivering the most protection from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for low strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opacity to complement or stand out from the look of your house and lawn.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional in Richmond, Illinois on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its appearance and delivering long-lasting protection against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to make sure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures appropriately to protect the wood from water, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can share regarding selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of homeowners struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting provides more variety of colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times over the years as it peels away beneath frequent foot traffic and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mold and insect damage. Stain will also not need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining a deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration at every step of the process. Conducting the job at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by enlisting a professional who can promise stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Richmond, Illinois and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.