Find a Cabinet Painter in Auburn, Kentucky
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to refresh the look of my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will encounter many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their sleek appearance. Common wall paints might not stick properly to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The type of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended time to dry and cure than those typically applied to walls.
How do I choose a painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painters to find the best one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to begin is by knowing exactly what style you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their past work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Reliable contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate largely. Ensure that any professional you hire gives documentation of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur after the project begins that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's reputation by evaluating their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients available online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is it really crucial to prime or sand cabinets prior to painting?
It's always tempting to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grease are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and their hardware, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach those places that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in most cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and require repainting sooner than expected.
What factors are considered when it comes to establishing cost for painting cabinets?
There are many factors that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Auburn, KY, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The contractor will have to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project performed.
You'll need to discuss your home's specific cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Beautify Your Cabinets for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Auburn, KY
A quick way to enhance the value of your house and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-effective choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and give them an updated look that will match your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Auburn, KY fluctuates, but many customers have reported spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors like the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets could be in fair enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
When hunting for the right cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be willing to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Find all important information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Auburn, KY easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.