Find Deck Staining in Benham, Kentucky
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Kentucky // Benham
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
It seems like there's nothing to display in this area. Please try searching in a different location or using alternative search terms to find what you're looking for. If you need assistance, feel free to reach out to our support team for help!
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a big variance in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting offer unique advantages, so it's essential to consider which option best meets your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are its extensive selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also needs extensive upkeep because of peeling and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly dried, needs less effort to care for, and has more advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering a deep layer of protection from moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that boost durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is best for you and your home.
Is the expense of professional deck staining offset by any tangible benefits?
Staining a deck comes with several advantages, such as enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are sold in a variety of hues and opacities that will help re-energize the aesthetic of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor to deliver excellent results. The weather in Benham, KY poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include stopping bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more from your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
What steps are followed during professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious process that needs careful preparation and execution to achieve the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres properly. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired from any damage to provide a consistent application during the following step. The environment surrounding the work area, including pathways and buildings, will also need to be blanketed with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you choose the best type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the aesthetic you want to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to apply as many coats as are required for good penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - Your contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to cure. It's important that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is acceptable throughout the curing step.
All of these steps are complex and tedious, but proper execution is critical to ensure the best result. A dependable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to finish the job fast while achieving your desired look and durability.
What season of the year is recommended for undertaking my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll achieve better results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works best while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much humidity will extend drying times and increase the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with directions on how long curing should take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Benham, KY on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for updating its look and providing long-lasting protection from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to make sure it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain won't offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting has more versatility in colors and styles and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away under frequent foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and has pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from mold and insect damage. It also won't need reapplication for a few years if adequately dried.
Staining your deck calls for a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Conducting the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by turning to an expert who can guarantee stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Benham, KY and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.