Find Deck Staining in Bonnieville, Kentucky
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are the biggest factors of the cost for expert deck staining?
Many things can influence the cost of expert deck staining services, but square footage and the current state of the deck will have the largest impact. Contractors should give an initial quote based on the size of the deck, but the price can go up if extensive prep and repairs need to be conducted before stain is applied.
The kind of stain you select for your deck will be calculated into the final price, and premium options with better UV protection and water resistance can be more expensive. Keep in mind that how difficult your deck is to reach or maneuver around will result in higher labor costs from a professional service. Any additional services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or applying multiple coats of stain, might also raise your final cost.
When evaluating professional deck staining services, it's a good idea to obtain multiple estimates, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor gives clear communication about the timeline for your project. You can find all this information to make informed decisions and get the most suitable contractor for the job at Thumbtack.
How long should it take an expert to complete my deck staining project?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that needs careful preparation and execution to achieve the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleaned of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres well. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to provide a consistent application during the following step. The environment immediately outside of the work area, including pathways and buildings, will also need to be covered by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you select the best kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the style you want to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to put on as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - A contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to cure. It's critical that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable for the drying process.
All of these steps are complex and tedious, but proper execution is necessary to ensure the best result. A vetted deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will bring the experience and skill to complete the job fast while achieving your desired appearance and durability.
What part of the year is recommended for carrying out a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll achieve better results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck is best when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and colder temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as excessive humidity can extend drying times and raise the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long drying should take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
Before staining a deck, what are the preparatory actions that need to be taken?
Detailed prep of your deck and the surrounding spaces must be carried out to guarantee a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be pushed back, and any pathways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck might need to be cleaned and sanded to allow adequate penetration and sticking.
Selecting the best stain for your deck is an important step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors like:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from certain stains that will give your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid usually delivering the most defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for minimal durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the aesthetic of your home and yard.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor in Bonnieville, KY on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for refreshing its appearance and delivering unmatched protection against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to guarantee it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it cures correctly to protect the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that professionals can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
Many homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting gives better versatility in colors and looks and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it peels away beneath frequent foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and carries pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from mildew and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining a deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the project. Executing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by enlisting a professional who can ensure excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Bonnieville, KY and choose the best one matching your needs and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.