Find Deck Staining in Columbia, Kentucky
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will deck staining offer less advantages than painting?
Deck staining and painting have different advantages, so it's essential to consider which option most fits your requirements when deciding between the two. The two most significant advantages of painting are its wider variety of colors and enhanced surface shielding. However, paint also needs more maintenance because of flaking and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain will not peel once properly dried, needs less effort to care for, and has more advantages, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing a deep layer of protection against water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the benefits of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice will be best for your needs.
Will staining a deck give any benefits other than aesthetics?
Staining a deck provides many benefits, such as enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that can help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you might think when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional to guarantee excellent results. The weather in Columbia, KY poses the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how durable the species of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get the most from your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How long will it take a professional to stain my deck the way I wanted?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that needs careful preparation and application to obtain the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres properly. The surface should be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a smooth application of the stain. Anything immediately outside of the work area, such as pathways and structures, will also need to be blanketed with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you pick the best kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. Your contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to apply as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - Your contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to dry. It's crucial that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable throughout the drying step.
Each of these steps can be challenging and tedious, but attention to detail is vital to ensure the best result. A vetted deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will bring the experience and skill to complete the job quickly while achieving the desired appearance and durability.
Is there a particular time of year that's better for deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll get better results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works better while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm or colder temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much moisture can extend drying times and raise the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with directions on how long drying should take, and it's required that it stays dry during this period. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Columbia, KY on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its appearance and providing long-lasting protection against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to guarantee it turns out the way you expected.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that experts can share regarding picking the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting gives more versatility in colors and styles and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times over the years as it peels away beneath constant use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from rot and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining your deck calls for attention to detail and careful consideration at every step of the project. Performing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to a professional who can promise stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Columbia, KY and choose the best one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.