Find Deck Staining in Crestwood, Kentucky
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What variables play a significant role in the cost of deck staining services?
Many things can affect the cost of expert deck staining services, but square footage and the current condition of the deck will have the most significant impact. Contractors should provide an estimate based on the size of the deck, but that price may go up if extensive prep or repairs need to be conducted before application.
The brand of stain you pick for your deck will be included in the final price, and high-end options with better UV protection and water resistance can be more expensive. Keep in mind that how hard your deck is to reach or maneuver around could contribute to higher labor costs from your contractor. Any extra services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or adding multiple coats of stain, can also increase the overall cost.
When considering professional deck staining contractors, it's essential to get multiple estimates, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor provides clear communication about the timeline for your project. Homeowners can find all the necessary information to make informed decisions and get the best contractor for deck staining on Thumbtack.
What steps are followed during professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that requires careful preparation and execution to achieve the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleaned of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks well. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to facilitate a smooth application of the stain. The environment surrounding the work area, such as walkways and structures, will also need to be covered by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you understand the right type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to apply as many coats as are required for good penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - A contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to dry. It's essential that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is fitting for the drying process.
Each of these steps are challenging and tedious, but attention to detail is critical to ensure a high-quality result. A vetted deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to complete the job fast while achieving your desired appearance and durability.
Is there a particular season that's better for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining a deck is better while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot and colder temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive humidity can extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long drying will take, and it's essential that it stays dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
What preparatory measures should be taken before beginning the deck staining process?
Careful prepping of your deck and the surrounding area must be conducted to ensure a good finish. Vegetation will need to be pushed back, and any walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck may need to be washed or sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Selecting the right stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects like:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will offer your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid typically delivering the most defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for minimal strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its hue and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the aesthetic of your home and lawn.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional Near Crestwood, KY on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for refreshing its appearance and delivering long-lasting protection against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from preparation to application and drying, to make sure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures appropriately to secure the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can share regarding selecting the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain won't offer as many style options as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting provides more versatility in colors and styles and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it peels away beneath constant use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mold and insect damage. It also doesn't need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining a deck calls for attention to detail and careful consideration at every step of the project. Conducting the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by enlisting a professional who can deliver stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Crestwood, KY and choose the right one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.