Find a Cabinet Painter in Cynthiana, Kentucky
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will it matter what kind of paint I use for my cabinets?
A frequently asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for home walls will face many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that sophisticated aesthetic. Common wall paints will not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals choose for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates longer time to dry and cure than those generally applied to walls.
Is it hard to find a good cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to find the best one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of effort. The first place to focus on is by knowing precisely what aesthetic you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their previous work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Reliable contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Make sure that any professional you consider provides written statements of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for any surprises to pop up after the project commences that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reputation by assessing their online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Is the long prep stage a necessity before painting all cabinets?
It's may be enticing to quickly begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt and grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its components, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to any edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How can I estimate the cost for cabinet painting?
There are several things that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Cynthiana, KY, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters might charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Choose a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Cynthiana, KY Who Can Bring Your Ideas to Reality
A smart way to enhance the value of your property and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and provide an updated look that will match your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Cynthiana, KY varies, but many homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects such as the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your current cabinets could be in good enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While looking for the perfect cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be happy to show you a history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is finished. Locate all the information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Cynthiana, KY easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.