Find Deck Staining in Fountain Run, Kentucky
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a specific time of year that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll get the best results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck works best while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm and cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and heighten the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature specifications on how long curing will take, and it's required that it stays dry during this time. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
What prep should be conducted before staining my deck?
Careful prep of the deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be carried out to guarantee a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants should be removed, and any walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck might need to be cleaned or sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the right stain for your deck is an important step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects such as:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will give your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from transparent to solid, with solid typically delivering superior defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for low strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the appearance of your home and grounds.
Will deck staining provide less advantages than painting?
Deck staining and painting have their own advantages, so it's important to assess which option best suits your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are the extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also needs extensive maintenance due to peeling and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly dried, requires less effort to maintain, and has other advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better defense from water, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that increase durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which option is best for your needs.
Is the cost of professional deck staining justified by any real benefits?
Staining a deck comes with several advantages, such as enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that will help re-energize the look of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you might think by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a professional to deliver excellent results. The weather in Fountain Run, Kentucky is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how durable the species of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include keeping out pests and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get more out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor Near Fountain Run, Kentucky on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its appearance and delivering long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it cures appropriately to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that experts can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
Many people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting provides more variety of colors and aesthetics and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away beneath heavy foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and contains pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. It also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining your deck requires attention to detail and thoughtful consideration through every step of the project. Conducting the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring a pro who can deliver stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Fountain Run, Kentucky and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.