Find a Cabinet Painter in Harrods Creek, Kentucky
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any distinction between cabinet paint and wall paint?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint generally used for home walls will face some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that elegant aesthetic. Typical wall paints will not adhere properly to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals use for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs extended drying and curing times than those generally applied to walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor suffice for my job?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of consideration. The first place to focus on is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their previous work matching your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate largely. Make sure that any contractor you consider gives written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project begins that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's reputation by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Do I have to prime cabinets cabinets prior to painting?
It's may be tempting to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt and grease are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their hardware, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach any edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How can I estimate the cost of cabinet painting?
There are several things that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Harrods Creek, KY, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's advised to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors could charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The painter must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll want to talk about your home's particular cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Update Your Cabinets for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Harrods Creek, KY
A smart way to boost the value of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will suit your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Harrods Creek, KY fluctuates, but some homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets might be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While looking for the right cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be happy to share a history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Find all important information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Harrods Creek, KY confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.