Find a Cabinet Painter in Horse Cave, Kentucky
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be limited to the kind of paint I can put on my cabinets?
A frequently asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for interior walls will face some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sleek look. Common wall paints may not adhere adequately to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors use for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
How will I determine if I've chosen the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to uncover the best one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of work. A good place to focus on is by knowing precisely what look you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their past work matching what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Professional contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate widely. Ensure that any painter you consider provides written statements of all equipment and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project commences that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by checking any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Is it necessary to prime or sand cabinets prior to painting?
It's may be enticing to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grime are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their hardware, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach any nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only peel away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
Is it expensive to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many things that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Horse Cave, Kentucky, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's advised to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will need to recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll need to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Find a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Horse Cave, Kentucky Who Can Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to boost the value of your house and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will suit your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Horse Cave, Kentucky varies, but some homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your current cabinets may be in decent enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While searching for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to show you a history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all important information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Horse Cave, Kentucky confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.