Find a Cabinet Painter in Keene, Kentucky
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to update the look of my cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint generally used for home walls will encounter many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that sophisticated look. Common wall paints might not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint professionals use for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended time to dry and cure than those generally applied to walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor suffice for my project?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to discover the perfect one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of work. A good place to begin is by understanding exactly what look you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their prior work similar to your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Make sure that any painter you consider provides written statements of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project has started that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by assessing any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Is the challenging prep stage necessary when painting my cabinets?
It's always tempting to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt and grease are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and its components, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach any places that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How do I estimate the cost for cabinet painting?
There are many factors that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Keene, Kentucky, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first obtain quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors could charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter will need to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project completed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Keene, Kentucky Who Can Bring Your Ideas to Reality
An exceptional way to increase the appeal of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-effective option over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and provide a new look that will suit your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Keene, Kentucky fluctuates, but many customers have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets may be in fair enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While hunting for the perfect cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be willing to share their history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Locate all the information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Keene, Kentucky confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.