Find Deck Staining in Latonia, Kentucky
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are the advantages of staining a deck vs painting it?
Deck staining and painting have unique advantages, so it's important to analyze which option best meets your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are the wider selection of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also requires extensive maintenance due to peeling and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain does not peel once properly dried, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has more advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better defense against moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that increase durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is right for your needs.
Why do so many people say deck staining is a smart investment?
Staining a deck comes with many advantages, such as enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that will help revitalize the look of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you may suppose when picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The weather in Latonia, Kentucky poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how strong the species of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include keeping out pests and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
How much time should I anticipate a contractor to take when deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that requires careful preparation and application to get the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleansed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres well. The surface should be sanded or repaired of any damage to provide a consistent application during the next step. Anything surrounding the work area, such as walkways and buildings, will also need to be blanketed with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you select the right kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to apply as many coats as are required for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - A contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it will take to dry. It's crucial that the deck is not touched and that the weather is acceptable for the curing process.
All of these steps are challenging and time-consuming, but attention to detail is vital to ensure a high-quality result. A dependable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to complete the job fast while delivering the desired appearance and durability.
Which part of the year is suggested for conducting a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll achieve better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck works best while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm and cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive humidity will extend drying times and heighten the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with directions on how long curing will take, and it's essential that it stays dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor in Latonia, Kentucky on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its appearance and providing unmatched protection against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to protect the wood from moisture, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that professionals can offer regarding picking the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain won't offer as much variety as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting gives more versatility in colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it flakes away under constant foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and contains pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from mold and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining your deck demands a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration for every step of the project. Executing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring a pro who can deliver excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Latonia, Kentucky and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.