Find a pro in Lexington, Kentucky
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
How long does it take to replace a roof?
The timeframe for a roof replacement is dependent on the dimensions of your roof, however, there are also many other things to think about. The typical residential roof is around 3,000 sq. feet, so usually, a roofing contractor can finish a roof replacement within a day’s time.
Another thing you should take into account is the projected weather in your area. Storms will make working conditions awful and this will push out the timeline. If this is going on during your roof replacement project, you could expect your roof to take three to five days to complete.
The layout of your roof is an important factor that you should take into account. Its grade, the number of angles, valleys, and hips will need to be accounted for when your roofing contractor is giving an estimate for the job. A roof with more features will require a longer timeline and your roof replacement professional will be able to come up with the hours for the job.
Which roof style is the most affordable?
The most affordable style of roof is going to be asphalt shingles, and just because they are the lower-cost product, it doesn’t mean they aren’t good. In actuality, you’ll see most houses in your area with asphalt shingling on the roof because they are durable and serve the purpose of protecting your home in addition to being the affordable option. Also, they have a simple style that will look great on any home.
It is worth noting that asphalt shingles have the tendency to be replaced more often than the more pricier materials. They usually have a 15-20 year warranty. But you can always get top-quality asphalt shingles that do perform even better.
When should I replace my roof?
You should replace your roof when repairs won't hold up. A roof replacement is required if you’re putting up with these kinds of issues:
- AGE: The older your roof is, the likelihood of it needing to be replaced becomes more pressing. Asphalt shingles are very common on residential homes and these typically have a 15-20 year lifespan. When the roof on your home is around this age, it’s a smart choice to get consistent inspections so you can determine when a roof replacement is needed.
- SAGGING: Sagging is a sign that the deck plywood is rotted. Sagging is not ideal, and this usually means you need a roof replacement.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof is a protective barrier for the rest of your home, so it should come as no surprise that the materials that make up your roof will get worn out over time.
How much is a roof?
It’s hard to pinpoint exactly how much a roof replacement is going to come out to because there are several things that will determine the total cost. Generally, a new roof falls anywhere between $4 to $40 per square foot, which consists of labor and the products being used. The cost of your new roof will be factored by the products you want installed, and it's expected that 60% of your cost will be for labor.
Measuring the size of your roof can also be hard if you have a more complex roof because you’ll have to factor in various angles. Here's how a roofing contractor can be helpful to you. They’ll be able to decipher the square footage of your roof and give you a better estimate on the cost of your roof replacement.
Top 10 Painting Professionals nearHome // Kentucky // Lexington
Roofing Maintenance Companies near Lexington, Kentucky
Thumbtack is the all-in-one home management site that helps you connect with roofing repair and roofing replacement contractors in Lexington, Kentucky. See what experiences other people have had, communicate directly with the roofing maintenance contractor you’re interested in, get an estimate, and pay all from one convenient app.
Our app also compiles a wealth of information to help you before you start browsing through our network of licensed roofing companies.
Most of the time you'll know when it's time to call in a roofing repair or roofing replacement company, but here are some other things about your roof to take into consideration:
- Leaking: When your ceiling or walls have water stains, that's indicative of your roof leaking. A good roofing contractor can make repairs right away and stop it from getting worse.
- Warps or Buckling: The boards used for decking can end up warping or are bending over time.
- Granule Buildup in Gutters: When you find an accumulation of granules from your shingles in your gutters, it could indicate that your shingles are wearing down. A roofing repair contractor will keep your gutters clean and cleared out.
- Broken flashing: Flashing is the material used to protect joints and prevent water penetration. A roofer can fix damaged, loose, or missing flashing to prevent water leaks.
- Damaged or missing shingles: Torn, curled, or missing shingles will need to be replaced by an expert. Regular inspections will also help you address issues like this and prevent leaks.
Thumbtack is a free app providing you with an easy option to find the right companies for roofing repair and roofing replacement services. No matter if you need to hire a roofing repair company or a replacement contractor, your part of the job is streamlined through our app.