Find Deck Staining in Owenton, Kentucky
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Which part of the year is recommended for conducting my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll get the best results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck works best while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and colder temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much moisture will extend drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with specifications on how long curing should take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
What preparations will a contractor undertake before jumping into deck staining?
Detailed preparation of the deck and the surrounding area needs to be carried out to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants should be cut, and nearby walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck may need to be washed or sanded to facilitate good penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the best stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from certain stains that will offer your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid typically providing superior protection from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck is known for minimal strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its hue and opacity to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your house and yard.
Does deck staining give more benefits than painting?
Deck staining and painting offer unique benefits, so it's important to consider which option most fits your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are the wider selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also requires extensive maintenance because of flaking and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly dried, needs less effort to care for, and has more benefits, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better protection against water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that enhance durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to decide which option will be best for your needs.
Why do so many homeowners say deck staining is a good investment?
Staining a deck offers many advantages, such as enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a range of hues and opacities that will help reinvigorate the look of your house and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The climate in Owenton, KY is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the species of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include keeping out bugs and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most from your investment by extending its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Owenton, KY on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for revitalizing its look and providing unmatched durability from the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to make sure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from water, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that experts can offer regarding choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting offers more variety of colors and styles and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it flakes away beneath steady foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from mildew and insect damage. Stain will also not need reapplication for two to three years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining any deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration at every step of the process. Carrying out the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring a pro who can promise excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Owenton, KY and choose the best one matching your vision and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.