Find a Cabinet Painter in Perry Park, Kentucky
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any distinction with cabinet paint and regular paint?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for home walls will face many challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sophisticated look. Common wall paints will not stick sufficiently to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended drying and curing times than those usually used on walls.
Is it hard to find a good cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of work. The best place to begin is by knowing precisely what style you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their previous work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate widely. Make sure that any contractor you consider gives documentation of all equipment and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project commences that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by assessing any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Can I simply paint over my existing cabinets?
It's always tempting to immediately begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt or grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only flake off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How do I estimate the cost for cabinet painting?
There are many factors that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Perry Park, Kentucky, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter will have to recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job completed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Perry Park, Kentucky Who Can Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to enhance the appeal of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-effective option over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will match your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Perry Park, Kentucky varies, but many customers still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects like the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets may be in good enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When searching for the right cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable painter will be willing to share a history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Find all the information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Perry Park, Kentucky confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.