Find Deck Staining in Philpot, Kentucky
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What part of the year is suggested for conducting my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll achieve better results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works best while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot and cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive humidity will prolong drying times and raise the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have specifications on how long drying should take, and it's required that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
What steps should be taken before beginning the deck staining process?
Detailed prep of the deck and the surrounding spaces must be carried out to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants should be cut, and any walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck may need to be cleaned or sanded to facilitate adequate penetration and adhesion.
Picking the right stain for your deck is an important step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects such as:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will provide your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid usually providing the most defense from water and UV rays. If your wood species has minimal strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the appearance of your house and yard.
Would painting my deck be a better choice than staining it?
Deck staining and painting have different advantages, so it's important to analyze which option most meets your requirements when deciding between the two. The two most significant advantages of painting are its wider selection of colors and enhanced surface shielding. However, paint also requires extensive upkeep because of peeling and fading over time. On the other hand, stain does not peel if properly cured, needs less effort to maintain, and has more advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing a deep layer of defense from water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that increase durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which option is right for your needs.
Is staining my deck worth the price if I hire a professional?
Staining a deck provides many advantages, such as enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that will help revitalize the aesthetic of your house and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a professional who can ensure excellent results. The climate in Philpot, Kentucky is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how durable the type of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include stopping bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional Near Philpot, Kentucky on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for updating its look and providing long-lasting protection against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries correctly to safeguard the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that professionals can offer regarding choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting offers better variety of colors and looks and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it chips away under heavy foot traffic and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from mildew and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining your deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration for every step of the process. Executing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring an expert who can promise stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Philpot, Kentucky and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.