Find a Cabinet Painter in Russellville, Kentucky
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What kind of paint is used for cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will encounter many challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their sophisticated aesthetic. Typical wall paints may not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs longer drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
How do I pick the right painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to find the best one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of work. The first place to start is by understanding precisely what style you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their prior work aligning with your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Professional contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget in mind when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Make sure that any painter you hire provides documentation of all equipment and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for any surprises to occur once the project begins that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by evaluating their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients available online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets without sanding?
It's may be enticing to quickly start painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it on your own, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grime are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their gear, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach any places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How much will I need to pay to paint my existing cabinets?
There are many factors that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Russellville, KY, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first seek out quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor will need to recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Beautify Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Russellville, KY
A quick way to increase the value of your property and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and give them an updated look that will match your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter near Russellville, KY varies, but many customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the best cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be willing to share their history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Find all important information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Russellville, KY easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.