Find Deck Staining in West Point, Kentucky
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are some advantages of applying stain to a deck versus painting it?
Deck staining and painting have their own advantages, so it's important to consider which option most fits your needs when deciding between the two. The two most significant advantages of painting are its wider variety of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also requires more upkeep because of flaking and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain will not peel once properly dried, requires minimal effort to care for, and has more advantages, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering better defense against water, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice will be best for your needs.
Will staining a deck give any protection from the weather?
Staining a deck offers many advantages, including enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are available in a variety of hues and opacities that will help revitalize the look of your house and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The climate in West Point, KY poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include stopping bugs and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get more out of your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How much time should I anticipate a contractor to take when deck staining?
Staining a deck is a detailed project that requires careful preparation and application to get the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dirt and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres properly. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a smooth application during the next step. Anything surrounding the work area, such as walkways and structures, will also need to be protected by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you understand the best kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the style you're trying to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to put on as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and adhesion.
- Drying Time - The contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it will take to dry. It's essential that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is acceptable during the drying process.
All of these steps are complex and tedious, but attention to detail is vital to ensure a high-quality result. A reliable deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to finish the job fast while delivering your desired look and durability.
Is there a specific time of year that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll achieve the best results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining any deck works best while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot and colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive humidity will prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature specifications on how long drying should take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this time. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in West Point, KY on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for updating its look and delivering unmatched protection against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to guarantee it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can offer regarding choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain won't offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting has better variety of colors and looks and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it chips away beneath steady use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for a few years if properly dried.
Staining any deck calls for a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration at every step of the project. Carrying out the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring an expert who can ensure excellent results. Compare staining contractors in West Point, KY and choose the best one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.