Find a Cabinet Painter in Winchester, Kentucky
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will it matter what kind of paint I pick for my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their sophisticated aesthetic. Common wall paints will not stick properly to cabinets and can start to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals use for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
How can I pick a cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to uncover the best one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of consideration. The best place to start is by knowing exactly what style you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see samples of their previous work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Professional contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate significantly. Ensure that any contractor you consider gives written statements of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for any surprises to occur once the project commences that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by checking any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Is it really crucial to prime and sand cabinets before painting?
It's may be enticing to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it on your own, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grime are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its gear, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach those places that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in many cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only flake away and require repainting sooner than expected.
How much will it cost to paint my present cabinets?
There are several factors that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Winchester, KY, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first seek out quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors could bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll want to talk about your home's particular cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Renew Your Home for Less With a Professional Cabinet Painter Near Winchester, KY
An exceptional way to increase the appeal of your home and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-efficient option over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will match your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter in Winchester, KY fluctuates, but some homeowners still report spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors like the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets may be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While searching for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be willing to show you a history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Find all important information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Winchester, KY easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.