Find a Cabinet Painter in Albany, Louisiana
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Does it matter which kind of paint I choose for my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint typically used for interior walls will encounter many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sophisticated look. Typical wall paints will not adhere properly to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors use for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
What features should I search for in a reliable cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to uncover the most suitable one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of work. A good place to begin is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their previous work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Dependable contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate largely. Check that any professional you hire gives documentation of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for any surprises to pop up once the project begins that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients available online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Can I just paint over my kitchen cabinets?
It's may be tempting to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grease are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in many cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only flake off and require repainting sooner than expected.
How much will it cost to paint my used cabinets?
There are several things that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Albany, LA, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors might charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the project finished.
You'll need to discuss your home's unique cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Find a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Albany, LA Who Can Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to enhance the appeal of your home and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter near Albany, LA varies, but many homeowners have reported spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects such as the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the planet when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets could be in decent enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When searching for the right cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be willing to share a history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all the information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Albany, LA easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.