Find a Cabinet Painter in Ama, Louisiana
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a distinction with cabinet paint and wall paint?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used for walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint generally used for interior walls will face many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them that sleek appearance. Typical wall paints will not stick properly to cabinets or start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates longer time to dry and cure than those typically applied to walls.
How can I determine if I've picked the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to find the most suitable one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to begin is by knowing precisely what aesthetic you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their prior work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Reliable contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate largely. Check that any painter you hire gives documentation of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for any surprises to occur after the project commences that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's reputation by checking their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers available online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Should I simply paint over my present cabinets?
It's always enticing to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt and grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to those places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What things are considered when it comes to the cost for painting cabinets?
There are many things that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Ama, LA, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project finished.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Discover a Cabinet Painter Near Ama, LA Who Will Bring Your Vision to Life
A quick way to boost the appeal of your property and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will match your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Ama, LA fluctuates, but many customers have reported spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets may be in decent enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While searching for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to show you a history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Find all the information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Ama, LA confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.